I've thought that I should start posting my exercise routine(s) here. That way I could look back and see what I really liked, what really worked, etc. I track them still on SparkPeople, but there's not exactly room for description there.
In reality, I don't really have much of a set routine right now. That's probably to my detriment. But "routine" implies boring to me. I get bored easily. I always want to try something new. It's better when I don't always know what move is coming next. I have established the routine of exercising 5-6 days a week for 30-60 minutes at a time, which is pretty good for me. If I do 60 mins one day, I'll just do 30 the next. I usually do both cardio and strength training. If I do a lot of ab work one day, I'll do arms the next. That sort of thing. I know the general principles and just kind of aim for those.
I use SparkPeople videos (often, the printouts) for strength training as well as short cardio. So I might do a cardio video, the strength train with a printout. Or I'll do a couple of short cardio videos instead of one long one. I also do videos with interval training that combines strength and cardio.
I like dancing, definitely. Some dancing is tough on my feet, so I have to be careful if there's a lot of jumping and bouncing. It's fun and I like the mental challenge of learning the routine. I probably look like a freak, but nobody's watching but the cats and Beau. I also do walking-type videos that usually incorporate knee lifts, kicking and arm movements. I do "rhythm boxing" (which also involves remembering a routine), jogging and stepping, all on the Wii Fit. The latter two allow you the option of watching TV while it counts your steps or miles and minutes and gives you cues through the Wiimote. That's fun too. The time goes by quickly while I'm catching up on my shows.
So that sets the stage.
Last night, I decided to go old school and try a tae bo video. I well remember those infomercials, who couldn't? This was a 15-minute warmup, which meant I'd need to do at least another 15 minutes of cardio afterwards. I learned that Billy Blanks is not messing around. I liked the beat and the routine, but it was full speed ahead from the start. Oh my. It might be a bit advanced for me right now. Good thing I didn't try one of the longer ones.
Then I went to Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I had done level 1 several times and level 2 a few times. Unfortunately, level 1 was not available anymore On Demand (I watch these videos that way via Exercise TV). So level 2 it was, although I was pretty sure it just about killed me last time.
I was surprised and proud at how well I kept up. I can do real jumping jacks (not the halfway kind they show in level 1 of the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD) now. She has two ladies with her, one doing each move to the maxium and the other doing the beginner moves. Most of the time, I have to do the beginner ones. With some of the moves, I have to rest for a few seconds because it's so intense. But I like the format, which cycles between strength and cardio. Near the end, she says things like "You should feel like you're about to die."
I don't know if I'm the only one who talks to the TV when exercising. I say things like "uh-uh" or "what?!" or "f you, buddy." This time Beau was in the same room reading while I was exercising, and when she said that line above, I said "I do" and he laughed.
I need to do some exercise DVD shopping. Is it sad that I'm excited about the prospect? I haven't gotten a new one since May.
mental exertion vs physical exertion
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment