Monday, January 14, 2008

Christmas and the aftermath.

A lot has happened in the past month or so. First, there was Christmas. The whole experience with my family was awful. There was a fat joke made at my expense. I didn’t eat anything and we ended up eating later on at IHOP.

Then, New Year’s. We ate at a Brazilian steakhouse that was only so-so. I don’t suppose we’ll ever go back to those; it would be a waste of money.

On January 2 I had my phone consult with my surgeon. It went pretty well. He was really informative without being condescending, and he answered all of my questions satisfactorily. On January 7 I had my phone consult with the dietitian, which was also fine. I am a little concerned that the post-op diet is shorter than with some other surgeons. But I think I will extend it a little bit just to be safe.

I have my plane tickets, hotel and car reservation. I’ve told my supervisor that I’ll be out for a few days. I hope I recover quickly as I don’t have a lot of leave, but since I have a desk job and mostly sit anyway I think I’ll be fine. The only big thing remaining is the financing. I’m supposed to get my paperwork tomorrow. I’m nervous about that not happening for some reason.

Then I’ll start acquiring everything I need – it’s helpful that people on the forums have compiled lists of things. I should try more protein shakes/powders. I got some Unjury samples and they were OK. Everyone said that strawberry was awful and it was.

I am supposed to start the pre-op diet on February 4. But I think I’ll start it a little early. I actually planned to eat fewer carbs this week to start to ease into it. I am proud of myself – I cooked chicken and broccoli last night and portioned it out to have for lunch three times this week. This morning I grabbed the container, shook some low-sodium soy and some sesame oil on it and that was lunch. I could put some salsa on tomorrow’s serving. That way I won’t get bored with it, hopefully.

I also planned meals this week to clean out the freezer and refrigerator. I made banana bread yesterday with frozen bananas. We had greens last night with frozen smoked turkey. Pretty soon there won’t be anything in the freezer but sugar-free popsicles.

Still not nervous so far, just anxious...

No comments:

Post a Comment