Thursday, June 19, 2008

Um. Huh.

A few days ago, I started getting all of the signs that I was about to start my period. I won't go into too much detail -- ladies, you know them. This morning, it's even worse. I have that distinctive, bloaty, full feeling in my lower abdomen. Nothing else makes me feel this particular way.

The thing is, though, I finished my last period less than two weeks ago. I have to wait until the Sunday after my next one to start my pills. Even without being on the Pill, my cycle has been pretty regular...including since I've been banded. But I'm wondering if the weight loss has been significant enough to start whacking it out. Usually, losing weight can make periods lighter or even space them out more. I've never read that it can decrease the intervals between them. If it is going to start early, though, the plus side is that I can start my pills sooner than I thought. I guess we'll see. The menstrual cycle is such a sensitive thing -- affected by weight loss/gain, stress, lack of sleep, medications, et cetera. Maybe it's just some weird hormonal thing anyway.

I know losing weight increases fertility, so we're being very careful until I can start the pill. Most surgeons recommend waiting 12-18 months (some say 24) before trying to get pregnant. The reason being that you need to get adjusted to this lifestyle and lose your excess weight. It is harder to get back on track after giving birth and losing your momentum. I intend to be at my goal weight after a year and wait at least a bit longer to maintain the weight before even thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment