Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Caitlin Van Zandt!

For some reason, I haven't been getting emails when someone has commented on my journal. Sorry!

I haven't had much to say lately. Still truckin' on weight loss, exercise, etc. I only lost a pound last week but I didn't exercise as much. It really does up the weight loss, in my experience. I busted out my old DDR game the other night for a change of pace. Wow, I'm a lot better at that game now. Imagine that. No PBs or stuck episodes in a very long time. I think I'm in my groove, which is great, but makes for boring blogging.

I did get a really nice surprise the other day. A few months ago, I wrote a fan letter -- not something I've done since I was a teenager. An actress on a show that I watch (Caitlin Van Zandt on the soap "Guiding Light") publicized her lapband surgery back in May, and the character that she plays also had surgery. I hadn't seen a fictionalized depiction of it before, especially not one of WLS in general that seemed accurate. Although other celebrities have spoken out about getting lapband, they've been older people that I couldn't really relate to (sorry, Ann Wilson of "Heart"). Of course Caitlin is younger than I am, but anyway. So I was was impressed that she had chosen to go public with it and was open to having a storyline about it on the show. Honestly, she could've just hidden it. The weight loss isn't drastic enough that people would know, and you can fudge the reasons for eating differently (hey, it's worked with my family for the past 7 1/2 months!).

So I wrote her a short letter mentioning my own surgery, thanking her for giving a different perspective of WLS and introducing people to the band, wishing her well, etc. I didn't think much of it after that.

The other day, though, I got a headshot from her with a really nice note written on it. She said how much she appreciated my letter, congratulated me on my success and told me to "stay fabulous." Isn't that sweet?

2 comments:

  1. that is so crazy! I am an avid GL fan and saw the same actress. I read about her real life experience and it actually was the final thing that convinced me to do it. I just got insurance approval and hope to have surgery in December. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel! You should absolutely write Caitlin and tell her about yourself -- as you can see, she writes back.

    Thank you very much. Best of luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete