Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fitting it all in.

I have this sneaking suspicion that I need to start getting up earlier.

I get home from work around 6 pm. After making and eating dinner, waiting for that to settle and watching a little TV, playing a game or doing some work, I exercise. But sometimes that ends up being after 8 pm. Last night, Beau and I went out to dinner and decided to play a game for a "little while." A little while ended up being until 9 pm. Then Beau said, "Are you still going to exercise?" I got kind of snippy, because it's not an optional thing anymore. So we ended up going to bed around 10:30. I didn't actually go to sleep until 11:30...I can't just fall asleep after exercising, so I read. And then the alarm started going off at 6. Bleh.

It would be much better if I got up early and exercised, I think. And it would solve my breakfast problem. I would like to be able to sit down and eat breakfast, but I rarely do. I usually grab something I can eat in the car on the way, or eat when I get to work. I don't like that. I'm also in a rut. It's cereal, oatmeal, yogurt and fruit, or a Jimmy Dean D-lights sandwich (fairly new addition to the rotation, and it's too high in salt and too lower in fiber really).

I'm also going to be in a pants crisis soon. My largest size was a 28. I had no 26s (I just squeezed into the 24s) so I wore the 28s until the 24s fit. But I only have jeans in the 24s, not nicer pants. Once the 24 jeans are too big (and they're getting baggy now), I have no 22s. I have some 20s and some 18s in both jeans and nice pants. So I need some 22s. I'm loathe to spend a lot of money on pants that will be too big for me in a few months, but I like nice clothes. So that sucks. I guess I'll really have to hit the thrift and consignment stores. Or go to that dreaded W-place.

Yesterday, I was standing at the printer when my supervisor said, "I hope you don't mind me saying this, but you have lost a lot of weight." I said, "No, I don't mind that. What I don't like is when people say 'You look great' because it implies that I looked like shit before." She lost 80 pounds a few years ago, so she gets it. She doesn't know about my band. She has PCoS and is insulin resistant so that's what sent her on a health kick.

Speaking of PCoS (not that I have it), I made my GYN appointment for a few weeks from now. I considered not returning to that practice, because at my last visit the CNP was really rude to me. She basically yelled when she realized how much I weighed and how much I'd gained since my last visit, and she gave me an old printout of a really stupid, unhealthy-looking Atkins knockoff thing that involved eating the same thing every day for a month. I cried in the parking lot. I'd never seen her before; my GYN was in surgery or something that day and I guess I didn't want to wait for a different appointment.

But overall, I like the practice. It's all women. There are several OB/GYNs, a few CNPs and some CNMs. They are full service; they do all of the pre-natal testing, including sonograms, there. And it's really conveniently located. So when I called to make the appointment, I asked not to see that CNP again but to see my GYN. I don't adore her, but she is at least polite. And dammit, if they bring up weight now they'll see that I've lost since I've been there and of course they'll know about my band.

1 comment:

  1. CNPs like that are why large people don't go to the doctor. We'd prefer to drop dead of something preventable.

    It also annoys me that ALL health problems of large people must be caused by their fatitude and can be cured by dieting. I come by my depressive tendencies and GERD honestly, along with the low blood pressure - I inherited them from my parents.

    Good luck going back to the Gyn, and if she asks you about the CNP, tell her the truth. She is driving away their customers. There are nicer ways to discuss losing weight.

    ReplyDelete