So I'm being good and following my doc's orders after a fill. Liquids the first day, soft foods the second, transition to solids again the third. I didn't do it so well last time and had a gross bloaty gas episode. I don't know if it was because I ate solids too soon after the fill, or because I ate too fast, or what, but I'd rather not chance it.
And it's weird. It makes me flash back to just after the surgery, except I had no appetite then and I do now. The grocery store carries these amazing organic soups in cartons and I love them. I guess it's been long enough since my liquid phase that I don't hate soup anymore. You get sick of soup when that's all you eat. Soup and sickly-sweet chalky protein shakes made from samples you ordered online and refuse to throw out.
Come on, Friday.
I definitely feel more restricted again, though. Funny how 0.3 cc makes a difference.
mental exertion vs physical exertion
8 years ago
For those of us who are ignorant: what exactly is a 'fill'? I presume it curtails your stomach capacity?
ReplyDeleteThe lapband is a ring fitted around the top of the stomach with an inner core made of inflatable silicone. A tube runs from the band to a self-sealing access port placed under the skin. My port is above and to the right of my belly button. I can't see it, but I can feel around for it.
ReplyDeleteA "fill", or adjustment, is when a doctor injects the port with saline. This inflates the band. It doesn't hurt in the slightest; it feels like a little pinch.
So when I eat, the food fills the top part of the stomach above the band and slowly goes through to the bottom part. I eat about a third to half of what I used to, and am generally satisfied with these smaller meals.
Part of what I like about the band is its adjustability; if you can eat more and aren't losing weight, you can get a fill. If you find that you aren't eating enough, you can get some saline removed. As you lose weight, the fat pad between the band and the stomach shrinks and makes the band looser. So people often need regular fills to maintain the consistent weight loss. It varies for everybody, though, and there are different sizes of bands with different capacities.
That might be more than you wanted to know, sorry. I'm pretty happy with my band so I like to talk about it. :)
Ah! Okay, this does clear things up for me. And no, it's not too much information. It sounds a lot safer than a gastric bypass.
ReplyDeleteI felt it was safer, for me, definitely. I didn't like the idea of having my intestines and stomach cut and rearranged. But I believe the bypass may be a better option for the super morbidly obese who need to get off the weight fast due to severe health problems. Lapband patients lose at a much slower weight. But I had 127 lbs to lose and no serious health problems, so losing at a slower rate is fine to me. As long as it comes off and stays off!
ReplyDelete