Friday, May 30, 2008

OK. this plateau thing sucks.

I have been lucky. I have lost at least 1 pound a week, usually more, until now. No movement downwards for over a week. Sucks. Yes, I know that's not that long of a plateau and some people go months. But seeing the scale drop is what keeps me motivated. When nothing's happening, I start to feel like a big fat failure. I know that's not realistic, but there it is.

I keep seeing this plateau-busting diet around my lapband communities; it was created by a bariatric surgeon for WLS patients who have a plateau. If my plateau lasts for awhile, I will consider it, although it is kind of painful to contemplate.

I'm not a fan of diets and I don't consider how I eat now as a diet. Right now, I am just going to increase and change up my exercise. Maybe my body is too used to the bootcamp challenge exercises and I keep doing the same kinds of cardio. I am also going to pay closer attention to my carbs -- like I said, I have been eating potatoes and some other white carbs lately. And some real sugar. That certainly can't help.

Here's the diet -- it's basically all protein, all the time.

Plateau Busting Diet

#1 Do for 10 days to break plateau

#2 Drink 2 quarts of water a day

#3 Have 45 grams of protein supplement and all your vitamin & mineral supplements each day.

#4 Consume up to 3 oz. of the following high-protein foods, 5 times a day:

a.. beef
b.. pork
c.. chicken
d.. turkey
e.. lamb
f.. fish
g.. eggs
h.. low-fat cheese
i.. cottage cheese
j.. plain yogurt (or artificially sweetened)
k.. peanut butter
l.. beans/legumes

#5 You may also have:

a.. sugar-free popsicles (avoid juice popsicles)
b.. tea or coffee
c.. sugar-free Jello
d.. broths & bouillons
e.. Crystal Lite drinks

#6 IF IT IS NOT ON THE LIST YOU MAY NOT HAVE IT!

#7 Keep a food diary and try to get 30 minutes of exercise daily.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds pretty severe, but if it was created by an MD who understands your special needs it might be worth it. I've hit plateaus before, and it does suck.

    ReplyDelete