On Saturday, Beau and I went out to dinner with some relatives.
We had chicken satay for an appetizer and it was delicious. I ate half of one. It had chili-orange sauce and the chicken was coated in peanuts and rosemary. Yum. I ordered a salad for dinner, which came with slices of steak on it and had raisins, strawberries, peaches, nuts and blue cheese in it. About halfway through this massive salad, I realized that I was full. I was kind of sad, because it was good and kind of expensive. We were on our way somewhere else, so I had no way of taking leftovers. Oh well.
Anyway, after we finished the meal and were waiting to pay, I had what I am calling The Incident. I had a coughing fit. I just kept coughing and coughing into my napkin. I didn't feel like anything was stuck. I didn't want to drink any water because of that whole bandsters rule about not drinking. So I just kept coughing. And coughing. And coughing. I was thinking, hey, maybe I should go to the bathroom because I wonder if I might...
...and then I PB'd into my napkin. Slime with chunks of salad -- sorry, eww, but that's what it was. And it was enough to spurt onto my hand, my shirt and drip down onto my skirt.
I was mortified. Horrified. Name a word that describes complete and utter embarrassment and that's what I was. Everyone pushed their napkins towards me and someone whipped out some tissues. I apologized over and over again. Then I bolted for the bathroom, where I cleaned myself up as best as I could. No hand dryer, of course, so I had to blot with paper towels. Eventually it just looked like I'd spilled water on myself.
As we were going elsewhere, I got Beau to turn up the fan in the car in the hopes I would dry out soon. We got to our next destination and luckily it was dark inside. I was asked if I was OK and I said yes, joked about being embarassed and was told it was "no big deal, don't worry about it." And then it was never mentioned again. I kept checking and within an hour or two it wasn't even noticeable anymore. I felt just fine the rest of the night.
I have never had this happen. I don't know if it's common amongst bandsters. I have slime and PB'd, but I always knew I was stuck -- there's a distinctive feeling -- and I had the time to excuse myself and go to the restroom. Maybe the coughing activated my gag reflex? I definitely should've just left immediately and I know now to do that if I have a coughing fit in public. Maybe I was a little stuck and didn't realize it; it's so easy to do when you're eating with other people and talking. I was trying to take small bites and eat slowly without being too conspicuous. But maybe I wasn't doing well enough. Who knows.
I wonder if they'll ever want to go to dinner with me again. At least it didn't happen while we were still eating...
mental exertion vs physical exertion
8 years ago
Oh gosh, from a coughing fit? That concerns me especially right now because I've been having coughing fits for several days now (but I just got antibiotics last night, so I should start getting better soon). I'll definitely try to stay aware of this once I'm banded. I have an uncanny way of getting a sinus infection twice a year. =P
ReplyDeleteI can guess how horrified you felt, but if I had to guess, it probably wasn't viewed as badly by others as you think. Other people are more likely to think the food was bad than anything else.
I'm glad you're okay!
That's all I can think! Don't let it concern you too much -- like I said, this is the first time it has ever happened to me and I think I was just unaware. I'm still learning...
ReplyDeleteYou're right, I'm sure that they weren't as disgusted as I was. Maybe they thought something "went down the wrong way." But it was so embarrassing. I have to just put it out of my mind and move forward...
I know people WITHOUT lap bands who can cough until they puke - like my father (he has serious lung problems). I guess the mechanism is there.
ReplyDeleteI'm amazed you handled it as well as you did. I don't know if I would have coped as calmly (then again, puking freaks me out).
Congrats on sticking with your system and losing all that weight!