No, not that book/movie/thing Oprah promoted.
Sometimes when people notice my weight loss, they ask, "What's the secret?" And then I feel shitty because a small part of me wants to say, "You get weight loss surgery, and then you can't eat as much." Of course there's still hard work that goes into it, but you know what I mean. But I haven't told anybody at work and I don't intend to, so I just say that there isn't a secret. You eat less food and make better food choices. You exercise. The end. Am I a fraud for saying that? Sometimes I think so. I mean, I do that, but it's not all of it.
I came into the office and my boss' boss was standing in here talking to my boss. She said, "Are you losing weight?" and I said, "Yes." Then she asked if I was trying to lose weight. Maybe she thought I had a wasting disease. So I said, "Yes." And then she asked about the secret thing. My boss chimed in that I was the "incredible shrinking woman." I know it's always iffy and weird to talk to people when you can tell they've lost weight. It's kind of a personal thing and you don't want to offend them. So boss' boss said that I looked fantastic, good for me and all that. She said she could probably eat less but not exercise, and that she'd heard that "exercise was the key." Well, it's pretty important, but you can't just eat non-stop crap all of the time and exercise away its effects, either.
Boss' boss is in her early 60s but looks a lot older because she never took care of herself. Eats very badly, smokes, drinks a lot. Has such bad knees she can't use the stairs; when I see her coming to work she walks up the wheelchair ramp and she's told me that's why. I definitely don't want to be like that at that age. A lot of people in their 60s are in excellent health. I'm going to be one of those cool active older people, dammit.
mental exertion vs physical exertion
8 years ago
I have told 3 people at work, and the rest just know I was out for 3 weeks for surgery, and the gossip began...I think people are starting to notice, so I'm not sure how I'm going to respond when (because they will) ask my secret..I feel bad for lying especially when I could be found out if the 3 people that know (and have promised secrecy) spill the beans..However, I really don't want everyone at work analyzing my weight loss and everything that I eat, which is why I haven't told everyone...I also feel like if this is a huge success, which I hope it will be, that I'd like to share my success and help others and educate them about lap band surgery. I mean, I was afraid of it until I heard about it from other people and read blogs, and saw real people who'd had it done..such is the dilemma!
ReplyDeleteTrina4ufl
I've enjoyed reading some of your blog. I live in Atlanta and I'm having surgery with Dr. K in May. I appreciated all your info on the fill doctors around here too. You're an inspiration to me, thanks! Susie
ReplyDeleteTrina4ufl: Wow, you were out for three weeks? I just took four days, but I wish I'd taken at least a week because I was pretty tired and out of it at first. I don't think you should feel the need to tell anybody you don't want to. I kept thinking that I would share with some people when I hit 100 pounds down, but that's coming up and I still don't want to share! It is a dilemma.
ReplyDeleteSusie: Thank you very much. I hope that you have a great experience with Dr. K!