Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl Cookin'

Super Bowl Sunday is an excuse to eat junk, right? Like I said, I don't care about football. I like tasty food, though. Here's what I made yesterday:

  • Baked buffalo wings
  • Low-fat whole wheat pigs-in-blankets
  • Low-fat onion dip

    Chicken wings are dark meat, so they're higher in calories and fat than "boneless wings," which are just nuggets of white meat. Beau insists on wings, though. I have to pretty careful eating them; the tendony parts seem to have stuck potential. I just eat two, though. Baking vs. frying, and not breading them, cuts down on the damage. I just use bottled buffalo sauce, which is 5 calories per teaspoon, no fat, no sugar, instead of homemade buffalo sauce, which usually includes plenty of butter.

    You can find low-fat "weenies" for pigs-in-blankets. I tried to make them healthier by using reduced-fat, whole wheat biscuit dough. They're still not exactly healthy, but that is 2g of fiber vs. no fiber at all. Beau prefers white bread everything, of course, but I liked the nuttier taste. I had two of them with some brown mustard.

    I also made some onion dip. Beau adores a specific brand of onion dip available in the refrigerated section, but it seemed easy to make my own. I caramelized diced onions and mixed them with salt, garlic powder, pepper, low-fat sour cream and low-fat mayo. The one thing Beau will not compromise on is potato chips. He just won't eat baked chips. So the idea I put forth is to eat real chips, just far less often. I had about a tablespoon of the dip, plus five Ruffles.

    Total damage? Just under 400 calories. Not bad at all.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment