Monday, February 2, 2009

Yay!

I could not care less about the Super Bowl, but I did consider using a football metaphor to describe the feeling of meeting a goal. Are you glad I reconsidered?

I don't have a scale photo because in my sleepy daze this morning, I didn't think about it. I'll take one for when I reach "Onederland." And that should be really soon, because this morning, official weigh-in day and all, the scale read 200.6. 101.4 pounds down. I did it. 10 days before my one-year band anniversary.

I've been thinking about to what it felt like to weigh 302 pounds. I remember huffing and puffing in parking lots, asking Beau to slow down. I remember the shame and embarrassment of knowing I couldn't fit into some booths at restaurants (my preference) and having to ask for a table instead. I remember my size 28 pants feeling tight and realizing that Lane Bryant didn't go any higher (at least in the stores, they go up to 32 online). I remember going to a hair salon that had its patrons take off their shirts and wear smocks instead. I had to come out of the changing room to tell the stylist that none of the smocks would fit me.

I felt like I was Jabba the Hut. The Blob. Encased in a wobbling, jiggling prison.

So do I feel free, in comparison? Yes, in a lot of ways. I feel so much more energetic and mobile. I never have to think, oh, will the arms of that chair dig into my hips? When I went to a spa recently, I thought about how the "one size fits all robe" probably wouldn't have fit me before. I can shop in regular stores now. I'll be able to go to theme parks if I want and not wonder if I'll fit on the rides.

At one point in my life, I thought that everything would be perfect if I were just "normal weight." I certainly don't believe that anymore. But there are a lot of things that are easier because I have lost weight. It's also boosted my confidence in myself. I feel like I can do anything.

A lot of people set up rewards for themselves when they reach certain weight loss goals. I really didn't do that. Beau and I did take a vacation around my 50 pound loss. I don't have anything planned for 100. Maybe because I didn't quite believe it would happen. I feel like I should do something, though. Hmmm.

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! I can't imagine how good you must feel after shedding 100 pounds. I can't wait to feel that, and I actually cannot picture it for myself yet..You worked so hard to get here! You definitely need to reward yourself..like a day at the spa or a vacation or a sexy new outfit that costs way too much. You deserve it!
    Trina4ufl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It does feel really great. I'm actually thinking about buying tickets to Cirque du Soleil, as I've never been to one of their shows and I've always wanted to go.

    ReplyDelete