Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Gluten?

New thing to ponder (thanks, Jennifer :)): gluten allergy?

Jennifer pointed out that it can cause reflux. I was just reading up on some other symptoms of gluten allergy and I have had some of them. For example, I've had an itchy dermatitis off and on for a couple of years that never had a real cause, as far as my doctor could tell. It just slowly goes away over time and with the use of creams.

As I told Jennifer, I have some knowledge of this due to something I did for work. So maybe it would be worthwhile to try being gluten-free for awhile, just to see. Today nearly everything I've eaten has gluten in it. ;)

No reply from the doctor's office yet. Bleh.

2 comments:

  1. I hate doing a GF diet, but I know I feel better when I do. Some GF foods that try to mimic gluten-full foods just don't cut it. But some actually are great! So nowadays, if I'm going to eat gluten, it has to be "worth it." Like, I don't bother wasting gluten calories on crappy tasting gluten. ;) I basically never order pasta in a restaurant anymore (and certainly not now with the band, of course), and I almost never cook it at home, but I could if I wanted to because I found a really good GF pasta brand that I think tastes as good as the real thing.

    But you're right, gluten is everywhere! Most soups have it unless it's a clear broth based soup. And even then, most of those have pasta in them. =P And of course, almost any packaged food product has some form of gluten in it. Luckily, I don't that nearly as much as I used to, so it's not a big deal.

    The good news is, if you eat the way we're "supposed" to eat with lean meats, veggies, and some fruit by eating "whole foods" you make at home, eating a GF diet is easy, and can even be tasty. The problem is, sometimes I just reeeeally want some gluten. =P Or convenience. I still don't eat as much gluten as I did before I found out about my allergy, but some is still more than none. When my symptoms get worse, I cut back for awhile so my body has time to heal. Luckily, it *will* heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it really wouldn't be that terrible to try a GF diet. Some people say it's like pretending to be on Atkins in some ways. I have cut way back on the amount of carbs that aren't fruits and veggies. But as you point out gluten is in so many things. Sometimes you crave it. I like granola bars and stuff like that a lot.

    ReplyDelete