Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hope

So I was too worried and left a message for my doctor with a couple of questions. Of course the office closes at 4 so hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow. I'm hoping this is just some fluke reflux since I don't have any of the terrible symptoms I've been reading about all day that go with a stretched pouch or slippage. I hope. Sigh.

5 comments:

  1. I sure hope it's "just" allergies or something and not a slipped band! You don't overeat in one sitting, so I'd be surprised if it's a slipped band or something. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!

    I just deleted a whole thing about me and my gluten allergy and how it gives me heartburn (among other symptoms), but I'll spare ya. ;) But basically, the point of it was to say that you might have food allergies. The problem is, there are different ways to *test* for food allergies and the most common way that doctors test for them is not comprehensive at all. That's to say that even if a doctor says you're not allergic to something (say, gluten or casein), it's not a lock that you aren't. The best way to know for sure is to cut out the food 100% for awhile, and then slowly introduce it back.

    My soapbox is that more people (especially white people) are allergic to gluten than we realize. I suggest everyone cut out gluten for a few weeks and then introduce it again and see what happens. If you're curious and want to know more, email me.

    Regardless, I hope you feel better soon and get past your plateau! I know you can do it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! They still haven't called me back.

    I learned a lot about gluten and casein allergies when I was writing a piece on treating autism through restricted diets, as well as the myriad of ways that one can be tested for them.

    What I read horrified me; gluten is in so many things that I'd never even thought about before. It's in my lip balm. Oy. But I could certainly give it a try. Too late today, I've definitely had gluten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, LIP BALM?? Okay, that's a new one to me.

    Oh yeah, based on all that research you are keenly aware of the complexities.

    My oldest nephew is on the autism spectrum, so he's been on a GFCF (gluten-free, casein-free) diet for many years now. Although, actually, his parents recently started allowing him casein now and then and they've noticed that it's not making that much of a difference. It made a difference when he was younger, but now it's not so bad. But they still won't let him have tons of it at a time. But they are *very* strict about the gluten in his diet.

    I think that my gluten allergy is different than my nephew's, though. I could be wrong, but I also haven't been tested (or show that many of the signs, really) of autism. But I can certainly tell you how it affects my GI tract when I take it... oof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's pretty possible that your gluten allergy is different from your nephew's. From what I recall it can manifest in a number of ways. Affects to the GI tract are of course a big part of it!

    ReplyDelete