Thursday, April 30, 2009

Variations on a Theme

I initially posted this elsewhere but decided that it really belonged here.

It may be a compliment to tell me that I need a smaller-sized shirt. I actually find it annoying because I wore this shirt all of once last spring/summer and what I'm hearing from you is that I shouldn't be wearing it anymore because it's too big. I know that's just how I interpret it and not necessarily how you mean it, but I don't feel free to point out that you need to seek out longer pants because your ankles are showing. Does it depend on whether being tall enough to require longer jeans is considered a positive attribute?

I had a conversation with someone else who called me "skinny." I said, and this is true, that I will never be "skinny." I'm 5'10" and I don't have a small frame (although I don't use the Cartman excuse aka "I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned"). I have wide hips and shoulders. It's just how I'm built. I'd be just fine with being at a healthy weight for my height, age, et cetera. My mom, who has a smaller frame than I do but is a tiny bit taller, has never been smaller than a size 10 as an adult. But then you have to take relativity into account also. Size 10 is skinny to some people and considered massively huge to others.

And then there's the co-worker who always asks me what I eat. Is that any of your business? No. I mean, I'm OK with speaking in generalities -- lean protein, fruits and veggies, whole grains -- but I'm not going to give you my daily menu to scrutinize. She also asked me if I was "still trying to lose weight." Yes, but it's not any of your business, is it?

I don't see what's wrong with not wanting to talk to somebody every single day about all of this stuff. I think about it enough as it is. When I'm at work, I just want to do my job. If you want to say something nice, that's fine and I appreciate it, but I just don't want to talk endlessly about my weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment