Monday, October 19, 2009

20 week ultrasound

Technically I am 20 weeks today -- halfway there! -- but I had my ultrasound on Friday. I especially enjoyed seeing the 4D photos of the face. The detail is amazing. I did not enjoy holding 32 ounces of water in my bladder while the tech pushed on it. Blech.

Everything looked good. The baby has long femurs for its age but I am a tall person with long legs, so that is probably genetic. The tech did manage to worry me a tad by saying that the docs might want to recheck that. She also said that although my amniotic fluid was measuring normal, they like it to be higher. She quizzed me on my drinking habits.

When I saw the midwife, she didn't even mention the amniotic fluid, just the long legs, and even then didn't say anything about rechecking them. I am not as worried about that because there's nothing I can do. The fluid level, though, makes me feel guilty. I drink a lot already, but maybe I'm not drinking as much as I should be because I'm eating more often and still obeying the 30 minute rule. I am also allowed up to 2 cups of caffeine a day and although I haven't been meeting that, I have still been drinking coffee and tea several times a week.

So I decided that first off, no more caffeine. I have decaf coffee and tea as well as herbal tea now. Second, I will have water or some acceptable beverage with me at every second. Third, I will break the 30 minute rule. I think it's more important to be sure that I'm getting in enough fluids right now.

I didn't write about the fluid issue anywhere else because I don't want to worry anyone, plus not everyone knows about my band still and I feel like it's related.

Other than those worries, though, everything is still feeling good. I'm starting to actually see a belly, although Beau says I still look the same in my clothes. I can still wear most of my regular clothes, although I have gotten some more maternity clothes. Today I'm actually wearing all maternity clothes (well, not underclothes ;)). This sweater doesn't seem maternity though; it seems a bit short for that.

I think I've gained a few more pounds but the midwife didn't even say much about it. So I'm not going to worry there.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the baby is developing and coming along nicely! That's interesting about the fluids, I've never heard of that as a potential thing to watch out for. You're making great choices, though, so the changes are going to be good methinks.

    I've been drinking more hot liquids like herbal tea lately because I'm realizing I'm more likely to drink the liquid that way. So I've been a lot better lately about getting enough fluids in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Well, it's just sort of my theory, but it makes sense to me. It is harder to get in all of my fluids when I'm eating more, and I am definitely eating more. Baby hungry, that's what I say. I just make sure it's actual hunger and that I'm making decent choices most of the ti me. But I don't beat myself up about giving into cravings!

    I agree about the hot liquids. I do have to watch out for which herbs are in the tea but there are plenty of safe choices. I also like hot cider and cocoa. Sometimes I get so sick of cold boring water.

    ReplyDelete